Communications and Advocacy Job Description
The Communications and Advocacy officer is expected to develop, organize and execute a wide range of activities to influence policy according to the scope of our programs, and specific results-oriented projects. S/he will build the policy capacity of our offices and advice on project implementation. S/he will carry out policy analysis and the writing of position statements of our organization.
Together with leading technical staff, s/he will play an active role in networking, lobbying, and representing the organization in a wide range of policy issues at events, conventions, and media opportunities. S/he will be able to integrate communication tools and channels in her/his work.
The Officer will provide editorial and production assistance and supports the general operations and workflow of YNCSD Communications and Advocacy Department. His/her efforts actively contribute to communications and advocacy projects and products that continually raise YNCSD public profile, visibility, and innovation in global health aligned with YNCSD mission and strategic plan.
The Officer must possess versatile communications skills set and assist in a range of tasks including writing, formatting, copyediting, proofreading, social media, and designing and producing routine products and deliverables (e.g. technical reports, PowerPoint presentations, handouts, invitations, and flyers). S/he also coordinates support for more complex products, including providing detailed specifications and managing review processes and timelines. S/he supports the department’s management of organizational conference participation and technical publishing by assisting in the dissemination of materials and managing tracking and production calendars and logistics for conferences and other events.
The Officer will play a key role in the department’s workflow by managing requests for support submitted from staff throughout the organization via an online form (e.g., for graphic design, technical publication editing and formatting, handouts and materials for events, business cards, presentation assistance, translation services). As part of this role, the Officer coordinates outsourcing of translation, printing, and other communications-related services, including contacting external consultants/firms, reviewing proposals/estimated costs, liaising with project managers and vendors, and reviewing final products to assure consistency with YNCSD standards and guidelines, working with printing firms, and coordinating invoicing and payment. S/he is well-versed in YNCSD administrative and procurement processes.
- Facilitate and guide our institutional advocacy strategy;
- Facilitate the development of joint advocacy strategies with partners associated networks, partners and other offices of our organization;
- Develop strategic partnerships with key actors to achieve our policy goals;
- Act as a spokesperson liaison to media, governments, and other actors;
- Take the lead in organizing media outreach; arranges all media contacts, press briefings, and interviews; provide talking points and other materials as needed for senior staff; respond to media inquiries quickly and effectively.
- Coordinate production of a diverse range of information products including audio/visual communications, when needed to achieve specific policy goals;
- Support and advise the other offices to carry out lobby and advocacy properly;
- Ensure timely development of position papers, policy briefings, presentations, and other advocacy materials and communication media;
- Identify key opportunities in the short and long term in which we can influence policy processes;
- Advice technical staff and the management for meaningful engagement with key actors and institutions;
- Support opportunities for fundraising regarding policy interventions;
- Support and coordinate the relevant regional policy processes and activities of regional offices, especially with regard to global/international policy processes and for related to wetlands and other societal issues.
Profile of the candidate
The Communications and Advocacy officer should have experience in formulating and implementing organizational policy strategies. S/he must demonstrate a commitment to the cause either through previous job experiences or any other activities related to our mission. S/he should have a solid track record in representing organizations before different for a. S/he is proactive, creative, outspoken, optimistic with an interest in Sexual Reproductive justice and sustainable development and a passion for making a difference, with a preference for achieving outcomes in collaboration with others. S/he has a results-oriented approach and proposes ways to innovate and continuously improve our communications products, practices, channels, and messaging.
Essential skills and experience
- Master-level qualification in a relevant field (e.g. communications, humanities, environment);
- At least 4 years of working experience in policy analysis, lobby, and advocacy in an international context, working with national, regional, and global dimensions;
- Demonstrable experience and achievements working in and advocating for multi-stakeholder platforms and processes;
- Track record in policy analysis, writing and editing articles, website content, reports, and press releases;
- Experience working in for Non- Governmental Organisations (National or International).
- Ability to quickly understand and absorb new topics, issues, and disciplines and distill relevant advocacy strategies from them;
- Experience in stakeholder mapping and strategizing according to policy objectives of different projects;
- Ability to deliver oral presentations to various audiences;
- Excellent communication and project management skills; team player and facilitator;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Solid knowledge of Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights, Gender Based Violence, and must-be Pro-Choice.
- Reporting to: Programme Manager
- Full Time: 40 hours per week
- Salary scale: 80,000 – 120,000 (depending on experience)
- Contract duration: 1-year contract with the intention of extension if need be.
- Location: Head Office in Abuja.
- Start date: a.s.a.p.
How to apply
To apply for the post, please send a letter of application stating your motivation and the skills that you would bring to this specific post along with your resume /CV by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Documents must be in English, stating “C&A Officer” in the email subject line. The deadline is 15th December 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Female and gender-diverse applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.