Terms Of Reference
Consultant for Community Participatory Action Research and Baseline Study.
Girls First Fund Project on CEFMU.
- About Us:
Youth Network for Community and Sustainable Development is a movement catalysing social change by engaging young people and amplifying their voices to speak for human rights, through targeted advocacy to key players, capacity building and development, communications and media engagements, partnerships and program implementation. We also work on other sexual and reproductive health and rights issues, governance and the environment.
- About Project
Youth Network for Community and Sustainable Development (YNCSD) is initiating a project aimed at addressing child, early, and forced marriage (CEFM) in Kaduna State. The project’s primary objective is to empower and protect girls at risk of or affected by CEFM through community-based interventions. To inform and guide the implementation of the project, a comprehensive Community Participatory Action Research (CPAR) and Baseline Study are required. As part of this program, YNCSD seeks to engage a consultant to lead community participatory action research (CPAR) and conduct a baseline study to inform the program design and implementation.
The Consultant will be responsible for conducting a thorough Community Participatory Action Research and Baseline Study to:
- Understand the prevalence and root causes of child, early, and forced marriage in the target communities.
- Identify existing community structures, resources, and practices that can be leveraged to prevent and address CEFM.
- Assess the knowledge, attitudes, and practices of community members, including parents, guardians, religious leaders, and other stakeholders, regarding CEFM.
- Establish baseline data on key indicators related to CEFM, such as age at marriage, education levels, economic status, and access to healthcare.
- Provide recommendations for culturally sensitive and community-driven strategies to prevent and address CEFM.
- Scope of Work:
- Develop a detailed research methodology, including data collection tools, sampling strategy, and ethical considerations.
- Conduct a comprehensive literature review on CEFM in the project area.
- Engage with key stakeholders, including community leaders, NGOs, local government officials, and other relevant actors.
- Facilitate in-depth interviews and focus group discussions with community members to gather qualitative data.
- Implement quantitative surveys to collect baseline data on identified indicators
- Implement quantitative surveys to collect data on skills and economic empowerment needs in the focus population
- Analyse and synthesise both qualitative and quantitative data.
- Provide a clear report outlining key findings, challenges, and recommendations for the project.
- Inception Report outlining the detailed research methodology and work plan.
- Draft report for review and feedback by the project team.
- Final report incorporating feedback and presenting comprehensive findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
The consultant is expected to fulfill all the deliverables in a space of 7weeks
|1||Develop a detailed research methodology, including data collection tools, sampling strategy, and ethical considerations.||Week 1|
|2||Conduct a comprehensive literature review on CEFM in the project area.||Week 2|
|3||Engage with key stakeholders, including community leaders, NGOs, local government officials, and other relevant actors.||Week 3|
|4||Facilitate in-depth interviews and focus group discussions with community members to gather qualitative data.||Week 4|
|5||Implement quantitative surveys to collect baseline data on identified indicators||Week 5|
|6||Implement quantitative surveys to collect data on skills and economic empowerment needs in the focus population||Week 6|
|7||Analyse and synthesise both qualitative and quantitative data.||Week 7|
|8||Provide a clear report outlining key findings, challenges, and recommendations for the project.||Week 8|
- Must have studied public health, development studies, or related fields.
- Minimum 5 years experience conducting participatory action research and baseline studies.
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Excellent analytical and report-writing skills.
- Experience working with youth and communities on sensitive topics.
The consultant should submit a detailed research Proposal, budget proposal, including fees, expenses, and anticipated costs for data collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Submission of Proposals
Interested consultants should submit their proposals, including a curriculum vitae, a cover letter, and a detailed budget proposal, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30th November, 2023.
Note: The Youth Network for Community and Sustainable Development reserves the right to accept or reject any proposal and is not bound to accept the lowest or any proposal submitted.
For inquiries or clarifications, please contact the Senior Technical Officer SRHR and GBV – Victoria Abutu at email@example.com